Name:
Location: Downsville, Australia

Either you know, in which case there's no point reminding you. Or you don't, in which case why are you checking out my blog. Actually that last sentence seems prety antisocial. However I still cannot be arsed giving any more info. Just read the blog and you might get some idea.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

So much for blogging regularly.

It's not like a lot hasn't been happening either. I'm going to try and keep it in some sort of order but no promises.

Congratulations to Dave and Fiona on the birth of their son. I was talking to Jimbo on skype when he got the news.

The Zoo. As stated earlier I worked like a very busy person. Managed to correct all of the senior (year seven only) and general fiction entries in between checking things in and out. The only easy ones (just need the first three letters of the Author's last name) left are the junior and red dot (intermediate between junior and general) fiction. All of the non-fiction needs the actual book in hand to do the corrections (curse you Melville Dewey).
It wasn't all fun and games. I got drafted into the annual older mammals vs keepers cricket game. It is once again confirmed that I can't bat, bowl or catch. There was some serious play with some (possibly vengeful) body line bowling done by both sides. Also it was hot as a hot Downsville day and I got sunburned. Keepers fielded first and won by a lot. I was sent in early in the keepers' innings to use up some of the fast bowlers but didn't last long, hit a few balls but scored no runs, copped balls to the elbow and the arse.
In the end I think the keepers were happier about the end of the zoo year than the animals.

Visitors. Shortly before Xmas a friend of mine who had been living in Taiwan moved back to Oz bringing with him his lovely wife. Briefly staying in Downsville to visit his parents we managed to catch up with each other and went for a swim at paradise lagoon (water a lot greener than on my previous visit). We had been through primary and high school together and lots of reminiscing occurred. Some troublesome memories resurfaced more clearly than they had been for a very long time (surfacing like some bloated primordial amphibian in the swamp of my mind and sinking back down to hide under it's log again). Strangely enough a side effect of such deep memories resurfacing was that they seemed to dislodge a lot of other unrelated memories which rose up and sank over the next few days. After xmas we caught up briefly just before they went down to Brisvegas to live.
Also visiting this sweaty armpit of a town was the Simonster we visited the new Riverway development and went and saw the non 3D version of Beowulf at the movies (pretty good). Had some very good coffee, food and conversation at the Lucabean (Si had a lamb tart which I will definitely order next time I am there). Caught up with him again after xmas where he joined in a lan games session at Big Waa's place.

Neebo. Went down to Neebo for xmas again this (2007) year. First stopping in Mackay for the 21'st of Mon's oldest niece. Fun party but bloody hot and no breezes. Christmas was good with some great thunderstorms (thunder following lightening instantaneously and so loud you couldn't even hear yourself scream "FUCK!"). Scored amongst other things a voucher for the best bookshop in town, a George Foreman G2 grill and a really cool electric razor. Among the highlights was playing Texas holdem while consuming a bottle of scotch (a little improved my playing ability but it was hard to keep the right balance and in the end a lot improved my enjoyment of the game). Also there were many many crows around but they didn't caw at all, just looked at you and hopped or flew away if you approached (briefly entertained the thought if giving this post the pretentious title "Summer of the Silent Crows").

New Year. Very quiet, didn't even stay up for midnight. Also NYE was Mon's birthday. Although this year I managed to keep my foot out of my mouth over xmas I failed dismally on Mon's birthday. Even managing orally insert my foot while my head was up my arse. I'm very sorry Mon, I love you very much.

Keith. Yesterday I received a call from Polly telling of the death of a friend of ours. I don't really want to talk about it but I must thank Polly for her follow up calls, making sure that I was all right. Goodbye Keith, I don't know what else to say without sounding trite.

There's probably other stuff I could add (like Morgan's $2000 dog) but this'll do for the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home